Previous post deleted. I read back through the thread and Chris I would have to say that a reasonable person WOULD conclude that you called us ignorant and ill-informed. You could have been talking about some other forum of course. That's how I interpreted it, and I suggest everyone else interpret it the same way

Could we all agree to the following :

1. If two players have two completely different analog paths, ie if they are not simply feeding digital streams to the same dacs in each case, there is a good chance that one player could sound considerably better than another.

2. If the players ARE hooked up via digital PCM and are feeding unprocessed digital streams into the same DACs in each case, it seems unlikely that different players could have a huge difference in sound quality. I keep hearing the jitter story but I don't fully buy into it.

3. If you have a decent player hooked up via PCM to a decent receiver, and replace it with a really good player hooked up via analog inputs to the same receiver, it is quite feasible that the new player could sound a lot better.

KlipschGuy, if you read back through the previous posts I don't *think* you will find anyone making a blanket statement that all players sound alike. You will, however, probably find a similar sounding statement but with the qualifier about analog vs. digital paths.

I'm on dial-up (you all know how fast) and I really can't bear to go back and read the thread AGAIN. Can you guys with the fast ISPs work it out ?

Last edited by bridgman; 04/22/07 01:38 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8