Well everybody has to start somewhere! Your mind is open, and you will see and hear things that make you smile and cringe! So, on to the question....

Tubes are still alive and kicking. Many manufacturers still offer tubes, but they are typically an attraction to those who are more familiar with them. There are several inexpensive tube amps available that are good quality and produce good audio. They require a little more maintainance than electronic (IC or Transistor) based amps. Mainly you need to provide "breathing" room, as they tend to run very warm/hot. Tubes need to be replaced occasionally, and electronic amps don't - at least if they don't breakdown. Tube amps are generally lower powered than electronic counterparts, but can sound as good or better with less power. Clipping is not as much of a danger, as tube amps tend to get "fuzzy" when overdriven.

LP - Long play is alive and well. If you venture down the path to acquiring a new table, you still have quality choices.

If I read your post correctly, you own (or have decided on) the M22. You have $500 to buyan amp, cd or both. Is that correct? You mentioned NAD, and I would also add Cambridge, Rotel, and Arcam to the list. This becomes tougher if you want a CD as well as amp for $500. Please advise.

Maybe you can pickup replacement drivers for your AR's. This may get you buy until your budget allows greater flexibility.

You are correct...the chase is exciting! I encourage you to listen to as many products at various price points so you can develop a perspective on quality products. If you have read my posts, I recommend favouring the source (CD/LP/DVD) over other pieces.

Let us know how you make out.

Regards,

BBIBH