Well, if you don't need the tuner, an integrated is a good way to go. I posted some brands of good quality in a thread in HT. Names like NAD, Rotel, Cambridge, Creek, to name but a few. I am very enamored with the Antique Sound Labs models, as they sound very good. Tube amps of quality will expose weak components, especially preamps.

DIY kits are excellent ways to learn about audio components. If you have the background, desire and patience, they can be very rewarding. However, they can be very expensive teaching aids that can be rendered useless if you are "not quite as skilled". You can even buy DIY amps, preamps, etc...if you are the adventurous sort! You can buy cabinets completed if you choose, and alter them as you would like.

My background is in electronics/electrical/hi tech, and for the most part, I buy manufactured products. I have in the past been heavily into designing components and DIY projects.

If you have a source, and plan to build speakers, this will allow you to buy a solid integrated. As you state, you can then save for a source upgrade. Only you know the state of your current systems and bank balance!

Regards,

BBIBH