I’ll have to think about this some more, but this is just off the top of my head for now……..

I would like to see a pre/pro without ANY video processing included. Or, if this is a market required piece to justify the desired sales point, do it right. Contract with Pixel Magic, Lumagen, SI or ABT and give the user all the features and capabilities that a stand alone Video Processor has; similar to what Anthem has done with their D2. But preferably, I’d rather not include this. It’s usually blundered. The video processor (if included) should have the ability to build and set up input profiles for each source and also output profiles. This would include deinterlacing mode (film/video/ and all cadence locks), aspect ratio profiles, output resolution and format including 24/48/60/72/25/50 Hz, gamma controls, Cue Correction, Brightness, Contrast, Color Space and sync, Saturation, Hue….etc

If a VP is to be included, the processor should have 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs / 2 HDMI 1.3 outputs. Both outputs assignable with a discrete IR command to toggle between the two and the option to also have both live. It should also have one SD/SDI and two HD/SDI inputs.

If the VP is not to be included, 3 HDMI inputs / 1 HDMI output (both 1.3)

Three each Component, S-vid, Coax inputs, one component output.

Two, 8 channel direct inputs.

High end DACs for each channel. (Bur Brown, Crystal, Wolf...)

Complete audio format support up two 9 channels (including DTS-M, DD-HD and Multi-channel PCM)

THX Ultra 2 surround processing in addition to DTS, DD, Logic-7 and Circle

Un-molested video stream pass through option for 1080P/24 sources.

GIU on screen display that is overlaid on the video stream at any resolution.

USB input for media sources and firmware update (or possibly even Ethernet).

Independently assignable audio format and extended surround mode to any input. The user should also be able to select that particular format globally if desired. Whatever selected should be the default format and not change unless changed manually.

The user should be able to adjust the LFE and channel levels for the direct inputs separately from the standard digital inputs. The M-channel PCM inputs should also be independently adjustable.

Audysey Pro compatible with the latest (non pro) Audysey EQ programming available.

All channels should have their own user selectable X-over points in 5 db increments from 40 to 100, and 10 db up to 160. The LFE should have the option to set Sub only, Sub + mains and Sub + all.

Two LFE outputs for using two subs. Each should have the option to set X-over and trim independently.

A quiet cooling fan.

PC programmable remote with IR/RF.

9 Channel Balanced outputs.

User configurable Display with input naming.

I user manual that is easy to read and understand. (or how about a DVD to to along with it)