My metal tastes vary as does my taste in all music. About the only thing I can't do is the really serious death metal or thrash metal where the guitar notes are played so fast that the song notes themselves are indistinguishable. Not a big fan of the guttural voice thing either. OK as an effect in a song but a whole song sung like that is just annoying.

Most of my cassettes when I was younger were also in the 'hard rock' genre as playing anything harder also cause family issues.

Loved early hard rock Van Halen, AC/DC, Mettalica, Ozzy, Bon Jovi before the hair cut.

Alternative Metal (for lack of a better term) Rammstien, Alice in Chains, Monster Magnet. some Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden

I will admit to being a Glam Metal fan, Poison, Cinderella, Motley Crue, Pantera, Slaughter. Kiss, Destroyer was my first ever LP.

Classic Metal, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Queensryche

A bit newer but I liked the Nu-Metal scene for a while. I don't mind a bit of screaming vocals if it's mixed in with complex instrumentation. Linkin Park, some Korn, Limp Bizkit, some System of a Down. I'm a big Billy Talent fan but I'm not sure he fits here.

Again newer but I like some of the more innovative Industrial or Techno. NiN, Tool. Hell, even some of Marilyn Manson's music intrigues me, as long as I don't have to look at him, her....it.

Best of all! My music of youth is one of the only genres that has never died. I see more kids with black, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC & Pink Floyd shirts on now, than I did when those bands were at their prime.

Also, heavy metal lives still in new bands I now enjoy like Three Days Grace, Seether, and if I dare say it, Nickelback is keeping stadium rock alive (when they are not stuck in commercial radio mode.)

OK long rant of memories there. I can't think of many more obscure bands I listened too. Plus I'm afraid Bren will dig up pictures of them if I do. heh heh

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.