Originally Posted By: sirquack
Mojo, I don't think the 60's have changed. I think the reason the 22's may seem to be brighter is because they don't have the same bass extention, so your not hearing the whole package a full range speaker offers.

If you want the 80's go for it, I just don't want these other guys to scare you away from the 60's, there is no basis, just opinion, as is my opinion.

Having just done direct comparisons between these 3 speakers, there is infact an audible difference between the them.

The M22s are the most forward for the reason you mentioned, they lack that warmth/fullness of the 6 1/2 drivers.

The M60s are slightly muted compared to the M22 or the M80 because they lack the extra mid9and tweeter in the M80) to compensate for the presence of the 6 1/2 driver. Now this only a very slightly muted sound, something along the lines of a few layers of grille cloth in front. Had I not been listening to M22s for a few years prior to my purchase of the M60s I most likely would have not known the M60 wasn't as forward as the M22.

The M80 has it all, the forwardness of the M22 and fullness of the M60.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70