For N routers, I'd recommend the new Apple Aiport Extreme. I have it and it's easy to configure/use. If you want more flexibility, the Cisco/Linksys ones are fine. Because of background info that I know, I STRONGLY suggest that you don't use Netgear 11n stuff.

I think what Ken is referring to is Ethernet over powerline adapters. This allows you to run your network over the AC wiring in your house. Why would you use this vs Wifi? Because Wifi is subject to interference. If you want the fastest rates, think hard wired. These are what you need. Works assuming your house is on one transformer. I use these to connect my PS3, Slingbox, and HD Tivo to my router, using only AC powerlines. I want hardwired because I transfer large files (4 to 9 GB) from my Tivo.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/XE104G.aspx

I use the Netgear 104G kit.
- Plug the XE103 into the wall and connect that Ethernet jack into your router.
- Plug the XE104 into ANY AC outlet in your house. That will give you 4 ports of Ethernet where ever it is. This is a great solution for your AV rack. No wires to run.

I use this version because it's rated up to 85Mbps. Older ones are much slower, 14 Mbps IIRC. You can get ones rated up to 200 Mbps, but that is theoretical and you'd probably need Gigabit ethernet on your router/switch/end devices for it to make any difference.

The beauty is that you can buy more adapters and add ethernet connectivity anywhere you have an AC outlet.

Any brand should be fine, but you probably don't want to mix brands.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 11/15/07 07:29 PM.