Originally Posted By: CV
Jack, you'll be pleased to know that it does look really good for such an old film. I had it on HD DVD, and I passed it along to my sister when I was done with it. Some of the shots are actually very beautiful, fake color and all. The Looney Tunes cartoon included on the disc also looks very nice.

I know what you mean about the color, though I wouldn't use the term "fake." The color is almost "comic book"-like in the way it pops which, IMHO, fits the theme and nature of the story. Having been raised on comic books, I like it. Also, remember this was 1938, which was a full year before Wizard Of Oz. The three-color Technicolor process was brand spankin' new. In fact, all 11 of the Technicolor cameras in existence in 1938 were used on the film. It all just all works for me. YMMV. Wonderful escapist, "good triumphs over evil" fare.

Just a quick FYI. Basil Rathbone, everyone's favorite Sherlock Holmes, who plays the villainous Sir Guy of Gisbourne, was considered to be the greatest swordsman in Hollywood history, superior even to Errol Flynn, who was no slouch himself. Flynn, by the way, did all his own stunts in the movie.

OK, one last FYI. Remember this was in the days long before computer generated special effects. The famous archery shot where Robin Hood splits an arrow with one of his own was done by professional archer Howard Hill in one take with no trick photography. Now that's some shootin'.

(Sorry. I just love the classic Hollywood era, it's actors, and it's movies)

Originally Posted By: CV
Also, I'll back up EFalardeau about Casablanca looking great on HD DVD. I was really wondering if I'd be able to tell much difference between it and the special edition DVD I had, but the difference was obvious.

Oh Thanks, Charles. Now I'll have to buy that one as well. ;\) I, too, have the 2 DVD special edition.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton