Paul, it sites in my living room setup where I am using the DAC in the Squeezebox. It is hooked analogue to an older JVC Receiver and it sounds just great. FLAC files play clear and unbelievably detailed (which I accredit more to the M60s)when you have good source material.

I experimented with switching to fiber to the receiver and I could hear no difference either way. My DVD player however, is an older one I have there just to play CDs. It has a loose connection on one of it's analogue outputs so I let it use the digital out, as I have been too lazy to take it apart and fix.

Now, bear in mind, my JVC receiver doesn't seem to have a direct analogue pass through option so it is probably coming from the Squeezebox's DAC, only to be re digitized by the receiver's ADC, then back to analogue with some bass management thrown in. Soooo, is the comparison valid? probably not.

The important thing though, is that music sounds awesome. I'm convinced it's as good as when I play the original CD, at least for my ears and that's what counts.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.