I'm really new to headphone amplification, but from what I've read (over on HeadFi), the headphone outputs on things like receivers and DVD players that plug into the wall are usually pretty good. At least compared to using just an MP3 player's headphone jack, for instance. I have no idea if it would be better or worse than a specific piece of equipment. I know that there's a huge improvement in quality and quantity over the output from my iPod directly.

The LD does get pretty warm. I usually leave it on for 2-3 hours at a time, maybe 3 or 4 days a week at my office. Within about an hour, it's at the max temp. I would imagine that the tubes are about as hot as an incandescent light bulb at that point. No touching. The chassis itself is quite warm too, but not past the point where I feel discomfort in handling it. In other words, warm enough to be quite warm but not hot enough that there's a time limit on how long you can touch it. It's close though.

Eh, children's college funds are overrated. Make em take out their own loans. ;\) And no, I don't have any kids yet.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office