OK, now that I've got a new (to me) car, and I don't want to upgrade the head unit (loved doing it last time, but it is a long story and I am not doing it now). Anyway, I've upgraded the rear 6x9 speakers and I still have my sub that I built earlier this year. The front speakers are being upgraded as well for free (a deal I worked up from the dealership to get new aftermarket speakers all around)... Like I said, factory head unit, so no RCA outputs for the sub. The Amp I have has a special plug with 4 wires, two for the left rear and two for the right rear to connect up to the 6x9 speakers.

OK, fine and dandy, but if I am using a powered sub, I'd like to reduce the low end frequencies sent to the 6x9 speakers, but since the sub gets the bass signal from the same wires that teh 6x9 speakers do, I would need the low end signal in order to get the sub to work.

So I found these things at Parts Express called "Bass Blockers" that I would plug in between the speaker and the "splice" that the sub signal would be at, thus full range signal is received by the sub amp (with crossover set as needed), and then the signal after that has the bass blocked so that the 6x9 speakers don't have to try to do the low end stuff.

Do these things really work?

What frequency should I get? They have the following options to block the following freqency ranges:
0-300 Hz (6 dB per octave roll-off. power handling is 75 watts)
0-600 Hz (6 dB per octave roll-off. power handling is 150 watts)
0-800 Hz (6 dB per octave roll-off. power handling is 150 watts)
0-1.2 kHz (6 dB per octave roll-off. power handling is 150 watts)
0-2.8 kHz (6 dB per octave roll-off. power handling is 150 watts)
0-5.6 kHz (6 dB per octave roll-off. power handling is 150 watts)

So which would work best for this situation? Is there something else that would work better but be just as cost effective as these things are just $2.65 each?

EDIT:
I see that Crutchfield sells PAC brand ones that filter 0-150 Hz as well at up to 50 watts RMS with the same 6 dB per octave roll-off....

Last edited by nickbuol; 04/24/08 04:00 PM.

Farewell - June 4, 2020