I've been wanting to build an htpc for quite a while now and the time seems to be near. I've never built a pc before but have replaced hdds, reinstalled xp from zero once, replaced a ps, and added a card.
I want to eventually setup an unraid server but for now I just want a healthy htpc.
What I would like this thing to do-
1. Rip my dvd's (mostly tv-on-dvd) to hdd's and watch from there to lose all the bs on the discs. I currently run decrypter/anydvd on my dinosaur e-machine.
2. record analog AV from a few laserdiscs that wont be released on dvd anytime soon, as well as some vhs recordings.
3 digitize my LP collection. I still have my tt and 2ch pre.
edit- 3a. I also want to rip about 800 cd's to flac and be able to play them, as well as encode to mp3 with LAME for the ipod.
4 I might watch some tv if I had dvr functionality but this is not a priority.

I have a 27"crt sd tv. An hd display is not planned anytime soon but you never know.
I also have a mch pre with DD/dts and coax,toslink, and mch analog inputs.
I just recieved my case and I have a haugpauge pvr 150mce in a drawer if i can use it.
Still undecided on sound card.
I plan on several TB's of hdd storage.

I've spent way too much time on avs and newegg and the following is what I've come up with. Feel free to point and laugh, but when you're done I'd like to know your opinins.

my proposed system
I need the card for s-video out.

My cheaper alternative is here
MB has s-video so no need for a video card.

I'm thinking MCE for the OS but have read good things about vista for this kind of application.

geez that was long. Thanks for reading it.

Last edited by duckman; 05/19/08 03:08 AM.