ok, details. If I leave the surround back speakers to "surround back" I hear whatever is playing in Zone 1 just as I would expect if I wanted 7.1. So yes, I set the surround back speakers to Zone 2. I then use the function button to select the source for Zone 2. I do not get any sound from the speakers.

The analog vs digital issue? I did read this but wasn't sure exactly how it related.

I have a cable box and a dvd player hooked up via hdmi cable. Obviously these would qualify as digital, right? Would that be why I am not receiving sound? Seems pretty stupid to me that someone could be watching cable tv in the living room but I cannot use the dvd player to listen to a cd out by the pool on Zone 2.

Would that mean I would also have to hook up analog cable from the dvd player to the AVR to listen to something on Zone 2?

Quick update: I read a similar post on avsforum from someone else with a Denon asking the same question. Seems the HDMI is the issue. So, I would have to run analog cables from the cable box and dvd player to the avr to hear something from these sources. I will assume I wouldn't need anything if I wanted to just plain listen to a radio station.

Last edited by shag; 06/03/08 06:21 PM.

Shag