Well, you're already on the right track; you're asking questions. I ask a ton of 'em!

I'm the type that needs to know all the positives and negatives about anything before I buy it. I hate surprises. I like to know exactly what to expect and what not to.

$1,200 will get you a nice receiver. You don't need to spend that much though to have something nice that you won't grow out of in a month.

Configuration and proper setup is PARAMOUNT to any successful music and/or Home Theater experience.

Generally speaking, a $1,000 system that's been properly tuned and calibrated will sound better than a $3,000 system that got ripped out of it's shipping cartons, hastily wired up and turned on. I'm sure others will agree with me on that.

You have to invest not only the money, but the TIME to set it all up correctly. Even for a total neophyte, calibrating a monitor and a surround sound setup shouldn't take anymore than a few hours.

Plus, the knowledge you gain is priceless and an invaluable resource that you'll turn to again and again as your interest in the hobby grows.

One last thing. For maximum movie enjoyment, you NEED a sub.