I've been asking so many stupid computer questions lately, I figured I'd show you all what I usually do to ocupy my time off....

My wine addiction gave me a convenient excuse to finish the last room in the house that I have been procrastinating finishing it out the past three years. I was going to build some cabinets and make this little room into a small kitchenette. My wine collection continued to outgrow my acquisition of coolers (six 50 bottle units). I figured I might as well just bight the bullet and convert this little room into a cellar. One of my buddies has been bugging me to do that for a couple years now.

I had to build a sub floor and insulate it, fur out the walls for insulation and then put up a vapor barrier. It was either that or rip out the sheet rock, and I wasn’t about to deal with all the dust.

I really hated to cut out the arch as it was a PITA to rock. I tried to keep it, but the cooling unit had to go above the door, as it was the only place I could put one.

I put tight knot cedar on the walls and ceiling, natural slate on the floor and entrance.

The racks I built out of Alder. I had figured I’d buy them pre built, but after getting some quotes, I decided to build them myself. The quotes I got ranged from a low of $5000 to a high of $11,000. The alder cost me $800. I chose Alder because it’s a straight grained soft hard wood that is resistant to moisture. It’s a little more expensive than Oak, but Oak tend to twist when milling small boards. Making the racks myself also allowed me to build them the exact sizes that I wanted. It took 1100 ¾ X ¾ X 23” slats, plus about 200 13” slats. That was a pain…

The counter top and cabinet doors are African Mahogany.

I finished the wine glass racks and cabinet door today. Now I just need to find some low voltage lights and I can call it done. Well besides filling it up anyway. It’ll hold just under 800 bottles with about 60 slots for magnums and large format bottles.