Originally Posted By: mdrew
Adam,

I usually buy three bottles of whatever I want to try. I drink one right away (after it rests for two weeks), then I keep the other two for.... however long that is. I've found that sometimes I'll try a bottle and not like it, to only like it later. So, each bin will have two of the same bottles in it. I do not stack double deep if I only have one of that particular bottle. I've got around 450 bottles so far, so I have plenty of room to not need to hide them. But as my collection grows, I'll have to come up with a numbering system for the bins. I use Personal Wine Curator V3 for my inventory software. It has provisions for locations. I've found this software to be very handy. I thought about using tags, but they come with their own aggravations.

I'm the reverse.

I use the bottle tags and have yet to commit to the software. The bottle tags make it uber easy to locate what you want by eye. I just did a typical sorting by continent or country first (i have the cellar sections labeled at the top with concrete/stone headers hanging from the ceiling) and then i sort alphabetically by the brand name.
If one section gets too full i have to pull and resort some bottles now and again, but that is when having enough capacity makes the shuffling easy.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."