Panabrite, just curious as to the positioning of the M22's when you tested upfront and outside of the wall opening, were they setup on stands with the tweeters at/near ear level? I have noticed that in some rooms if they are not positioned well you will not get maximum performance out of them and they can sound weak.

I also suspect your sub is due for an upgrade, I haven't been able to find much info on Audiosphere subs and the little I have found, suggests it is ~10-15 years old. The subs these days reach alot lower and a lot flatter, this can make the M22s seem like floor standers even in rooms as large as yours, at least within the listening area, as the listening area doesn't look to be that large. The M22s + good sub, really do sound much like the M80s with no sub and if your sub is older as I suspect I think it would be nearly drowned out by the M/T80s, I know my old sub was, I barely knew it was on for many things I listened to, the upgrade in sub made a world of difference for the M22s and the M80s. Just one more thing to consider in this audio puzzle

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70