I too nave been pondering the power needed to do a decent job with the M80's. Mind you, not without taking some heat from Dewd, Alan L. and others. I approach the power issue from a lower power point (no, there will not be any slides).

I'm real close to placing my Axiom order (fronts, VP150, 4-QS8's...tomorrow?), but am still unsure as to the M80/ M60 choice. I bought a Denon 1909 (90wpc) 8 weeks ago. Now I realize I would have been better off with a 2809 (115wpc) or 3808 (130wpc). I figure to appease my quandary, I will probably order both the 60's and 80's, and return one pair. I am weighing:
1) If I go with the M60's I may have enough power for the 8 ohm M60's, 6 ohm VP150 & QS8's. Or is the 1909 on the lower end for that combo too.
2) If I go with the M80's, MAYBE I can squeak by with the 1909, until I recover from the speaker purchase (6-9 months??). Yes? No, not really?

My current use is just HT, I would like to get back into listening to music after doing some demo material listening. :o)

I am thinking that the 1909, especially in my 31' x 23' room, was not a choice that allows for as full an audio stage as I would like. I was even more ignorant of the audio world when I started this upgrade journey a few months ago, than I am, rather still now. My first choice is to be able to have a strong HT and music system for this great room in my home. I will be here a long time, so I would rather bite the bullet and do a decent job now. I'm not talking pre/pro, 200w amps, yada yada. I'd love getting a good AVR at a good price.

From the sounds of the conversations above that: "you should be fine" with the 140w Yamaha, makes me wonder if even the 3808 is a power compromise?? I hate to stretch the budget further and pay full boat on possibly a new (rumored) 3810, (or other AVR recommendation)

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."