Originally Posted By: Hansang

just realized I used too many acronyms.

I’ve now been in all 4 major branches of the U.S. armed forces and no one can beat the AF for acronyms. It’s been 6 years and I still ain’t even close to figuring them out. Plus they are contextual so one acronym can have multiple meanings. The Army and Marine Corps had the fewest and at least in the Navy something like COMSUBLANT you can figure out. Hell of a time keeping port and starboard straight though.

Originally Posted By: Hansang

FAC == forward air controller. He's the AF weenie that follows us Infantrymen to call in air support.

Thankfully I only experienced one of those guys since the Marine Corps had it’s own Air Force. Our guys were called ALOs (Air Liaison Officers), Marine Corps pilots assigned to a battalion to coordinate CAS. The Corps learned in WW2 that pilots can better describe a target to another pilot since he knows what it’s going to look like from the air.

As for the only FAC I briefly saw I was not impressed. It was at Teem Spirit 82 or 84 (old age). My platoon went in on UH-1s to secure an LZ. When the second chalk landed with the command element I watched as the FAC jumped out of the CH-46, looked left and right to see if anyone was watching and then started hopping up and down on one leg like he twisted the other ankle. He reached up and had the crew chief pull him back onboard and sayonara our CAS.

Yeah those AF weenies sure are…hey wait a minute I’m and AF weenie now.

Originally Posted By: Ghostmech

Hey watch the "AF weenie" talk. I spent 24 years in the AF, much of my time with AF Spec Ops providing you "infantrymen" with AC-130 CAS.

Always would have like to see one of those in action. One of my First Sergeants in the Marine Corps said that Puff (Vietnam era) was only CAS from the AF he trusted would hit the badguys and not him.

I just noticed one advantage to typing rather than talking about this stuff. Every other word isn’t and F-bomb.

Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Man, can we go OT, huh? I just checked the thread topic before posting this...

Maybe we could adopt it into a forum motto. “Axiom Forums: Where no good thread goes un-hijacked”

Cheers mates,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1