Originally Posted By: mdrew
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
As Chris mentioned, the audio difference between the loss-less formats and the improved lossy DD and DTS content has been shown in blind testing to be nearly indistinguishable, so don't expect to hear a significant difference unless the particular disc wasn't processed equally well.

In all fairness John, I recall reading results of a blind listening test or two where the listeners could tell a difference, and the nod was given to the high rez tracks.

I know that in my set up, I can tell whenever the BR disk is playing the standard sound track. When I switch over to the high res track, the difference is beyond doubt. Enough so that I can’t help but wonder what folks are smoking when they make claims to the contrary.

Now all that being said, I have numerous BR disks with downright horrible High Rez sound tracks. Just because the BR has DD-HD or DST-HD on the cover, that does not guaranty high quality audio.

Hi there!

I remember you buying a Marantz receiver capable of 1.1 HDMI passthrough. Do you still have it or upgraded? If you still have it, are you still able to get the high rez formats by letting your BD player do the decoding? It appears that you can tell the difference between the "old" and new High rez formats.

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3