Originally Posted By: dewd

You are assuming Steve had it setup correctly...

Every time I’ve tried Audyssey in 3 different rooms, following the instructions in the “Official Audyssey Thread” at AVS, (same speakers and equipment) it sounded terrible. In 2 of the 3 rooms it did make a small but noticeable improvement in the surround effects. They sounded more enveloping and holographic if that makes since. However, in all 3 rooms it set the EQ (based on copying the flat curve over to the manual EQ) at the 63, 125 and 250 Hz ranges to about -9dB +-3dB. The result was that voices especially male voices sound hollow, nasal and tinny. I did several blind tests and everyone could identify when the Audyssey EQ was on or off and all universally felt off sounded best, no contest.

At the suggestion of Randy I even reset my Denon to factory defaults but to no avail. So I’m left with only 2 choices either that Audyssey does more harm to the sound of my system than it does good or my receiver and/or mic are defective. If I buy another receiver with a built in auto-EQ (highly likely) I will certainly try it out, but for now I’m not sold on it.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1