Thanks for trying to help John, and I can see where my earlier comments could lead to confusion about what I was doing. As I’ve mentioned there has been a noticeable improvement in the 360 degree sound stage especially discrete surround effects when running Audyssey. The opening scene of “Appleseed” has lots of glass shattering and concrete fragmenting all around you which when Audyssey is on is taken to another level.

However, the enhanced surround effects is not enough to suffer through the buttering of the tone of voices. I mean this is no subtle thing that needs an A/B test to compare. For example in “Master and Commander” Russell Crowe sounds like he’s talking through two tin cans connected by a string.

My gut instinct is that the receiver/mic is defective in some way. It was purchased B-stock. I will certainly give it a try again with new equipment but I’m so sick of running the Auto/EQ on this receiver I’m not touching it again.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1