Since our last three vehicles have all been Jeeps, I promised my wife that if we ever needed a second car she could choose what it will be. For my wife, that meant Austin Mini or VW Bug.

This morning, I dropped off a 2004 Mini Cooper Classic at our mechanics after looking at all I could in the parking lot. It only has 64,000km (39,700 miles) and he is advertising for $8,500 Can. and she currently has him at 7500 (The "because you work with me" price, ;\) )

He has informed us that it needs a universal on the steering shaft that his dealer claims is really hard to get right now and told him to buy the whole shaft (I think he might be being shafted as I sourced the part on several US parts sights I use.) and it needs a wheel bearing. It has already had the steering unit and steering unit fan replaced (it's an electric-hydraulic pump... if your like me and wondered, "why a fan?") and my research tells me this is a part that got replaced on almost every mini from 01 to 07 but that the replacement units are lasting. Fans are still subject to snow damage due to placement so one still must be careful if winter driving.

Cheapest one I found east of Ontario was $9,500 with a lot more wrong with it. Average seemed to be 10,500 to 12,500. So this seems to be a great deal. Even if I have to put some parts on it and she decides she realy doesn't like it (my wife, change her mind??? Never...LOL), I already know people who will buy it for the 'average' price range.

Seems like a sweet deal but I'll hold off until my mechanic looks at it. Only thing I noticed when I drove it there and spent some time with it was that the muffler was rusted way more than the rest of the underside which looked good. The muffler probably would need replacing within a year. Also there is a noise from the belt assembly somewhere. It's packed in too tight on the side to locate by ear but is likely just a bearing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the room in the front. I am 6' even and thought for sure I would be uncomfortable but I can stretch my legs out fully as long as there is no rear passenger. It's pretty tight back there though. We have no kids so meh...

Anyone have any experience to share?

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.