Thanks Adrian. I wondered if the term "high octane" by location such as Canadian vs. US standards.

My understanding of using a lower octane fuel in a car with modern fuel injection is that the computer will compensate by slowing the timing a bit for the delayed burn and the car will probably run fine (depends on the car) but it will be more sluggish, less power (again the amount depends on the car.) So I researched this too. The Mini manual says it requires 91 octane. Word from forum boards is that it will run on lower octanes but the engine is very susceptible to feeling the added sluggishness. Go too low and it will ping.

Anywhoo, I added that info for Tom to save him looking around as I did for the real effects of octane levels on a Mini Copper engine. Personally, I would be very happy with the fuel savings it will get compared to my modified Jeep, even at premium prices. I'd prefer the cleaner burn in my engine and the added power vs. the cost.

Update:
Our mechanic said that aside from the two items the owner already informed us of, the car is in excellent condition and was obviously not driven hard. Everything runs well and everything is tight from the suspension to the clutch.

Another note for Tom:
After looking at it under the hoist, I can certainly understand why you have to be careful with the power steering pump fan. It is located very low to the ground and faces almost straight downward. Snow would most certainly clog it up and I think regular cleaning would be required after any time on dirt or dusty roads. This won't be a winter car for us and I tend to poke around my vehicles when I'm bored anyways so the fan should have a happy life.

It seems this car indeed the good deal we hoped it was and it should be ours by the end of the day.

Last edited by Murph; 09/10/09 11:51 AM. Reason: update

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.