There must be an Axiomite in your area that would help you out, no? I'd gladly stop by and help you set everything up, but I'm a bit too far away.

When watching a DVD, most of the sound you'll hear will generally be from the front three speakers. Dialog, from center, and music, effects, etc, from the two main channels. The surrounds will only have ambient info, music score, and some occasional effects. You shouldn't be hearing a full signal through your QS8's all the time. Quite often you may think they aren't working, but they are. Often times DVD's don't use them much. Others, such as the Daredevil DVD, use them a lot.

When watching something that is not encoded for dolby 5.1, or DTS, such as broadcast TV, cable, etc, quite often 90% + of the sound will only come from the center channel. You can try playing around with different DSP settings on your receiver, and find one you like best for these programs. When watching TV/CABLE, I usually have my Rotel set for DTS Neo 6. I just prefer that. You may like something else.

Good luck!

Any NYC are Axiomites, looking to help a guy out?