Thanks, John, Jay and Adrian. I have thought and thought now and I do love that Denon. Also, as I try and remember better, it was not lightning, but a very hard rain where water got into the line outside my house where there was some sort of junction between coax cables from the satellite (I now remember my brother telling me to put some waterproofing stuff there and not sure I ever did that)and then took out one directv receiver which by being connected to the Denon via HDMI, took out that HDMI. I would feel better if I thought this was related to that incident. Do you knowledgeable folks out there feel that it could have somehow slightly damaged the internals, but that they could have continued working another year or so until failing? Also, why would my touching around a tweeter or woofer have shorted the thing out like that? I hope the speaker isn't weakened by this - it did output sound when I tried it on the left side. I use the dual banana plug thingies on the back of the speaker and regular banana plugs into the Denon, so don't think any wires could have touched. Any-hoo - I think I may try to find a good deal on another 3808ci with a fresh warranty for peace of mind, then get mine repaired if not too expensive and maybe sell it when fixed on audiogon or something. Are there any reasons to consider whatever unit replaced the 3808ci or to move to the wireless one that was above the 3808 in the years of my model? Or is the wireless parts something that could go wrong? I simply must decide soon so I can hear music and listening to 6.1 with no audyssey setup is just irritating and booming my bass. Also, I don't want to wait endlessly without entertainment and if I have to ship it to Denon facility, I may as well have another unit in place while I wait.

Thanks again for everyone who helps here. This is my favorite and most responsive forum. I think the Axioms are a special speaker and its supporters the best audio/home theater folks! Thanks again.
Laura