Good to hear from you Alan! I do have an extra receiver I can pull out to test and see if it is in the amp or preamp section. Thanks for that suggestion. I'm going to try that today and then proceed from there. Jay, thanks for the link. I'm now a little more educated about these newer Denon's and not feeling like I want to spend the money. I enjoy tv enough, but paying for all these special video processors and such seems a waste for me. I want to enjoy home theater, but I also want very good quality sound from my analog equipment and from hi-rez discs. I would also prioritize the ability to do SACD via hdmi. So, am now going to research Alan's list of other brands (new or used). The bottom line I am getting to is that I need something that will drive my wonderful speakers and I'm thinking that the denon might be a doorstop until it seems cost effective to pay for a repair and shipping and all that. Right now it just seems like a hassle and since I don't want to dig out cables and such to hook all my equipment up to my old yamaha receiver (most are now hdmi) and don't want to be without tv/music, I'll just buy what I'll consider the permanent replacement. I'll have more time in the summer (I'm a teacher, so looking forward to the time off!) to deal with the denon and maybe just carry it to a local non-authorized denon place. This process is not quite as fun as when you are happily upgrading! I can't tell you, but am sure many of you have the same problem, how hard it is to get to the back of the jungle of cables/wires!

On that note, Alan could you or anyone who might fully understand this, please be explicit on the testing through pre -outs idea? Do I simply connect denon's pre-outs to the pre-ins on my yamaha then turn both on and play a source through the denon? Do I keep the speakers connected to the denon or connect them through the yamaha? Sorry to make something simple seem complicated, but my brain is fuzzy from all this! Thanks to you all, again! Enjoy your weekend!
Laura