John: Having read your postings for many months I could expect no less of an answer than the one you have given. I read the article from the link you inserted (seems a little dated but still relevant) which I believe I read some time ago. If I hadn't experienced the differences in receiver sound myself I would be less inclined to pursue this. However, I am sure there is a point where the sound produced vs cost reaches a plateau and where equipment upgrading does not justify the minute improvements. But this is subjective. My goal, and it is a taxing one, is to find the equipment that best suits my hearing and pocket book with the highest quality (my perception of "high quality" of course).

I can honestly say that listening to the M80's with my present sub and the M80's powered by my 55 watt Denon from the 1980's is very satisfying. But I do want to go HT as well, not only for movies but for my DVD audio and SACD surround collection. So all responses are important to me in my research, and the various opinions of Axiomites in past threads and present ones are very informative. It's just my nature to explore alternatives (buying Axioms is the result of one of my explorations).

I certainly value your opinion John, not only for your technical knowledge but also because your tastes in music are close to mine and accurate and full reproduction of the orchestral, choral, organ, piano and human voice (among others) is primary for both of us. But I am also sure that there are differences in how we listen and what we listen for. I think the quality of audio equipment reproduction may be a factor that affects my listening enjoyment and so I continue to explore. By the way...are you from the Southland?