I went the separates route simply for an increase in power or headroom. I have a 4000 cubic foot dedicated HT room. More power simply equals more safety from clipping and speaker damage. I have done some experimentation between my Rotel, Denon, and Audio track power amplifiers and really can’t hear a difference between them. Granted these were nowhere scientific (something I’d like to put on my bucket list; true blind listening test between different power amplifiers).

I also recently purchased a Denon AVR and use it as a pre / pro. It was actually cheaper to do this than to buy a dedicated pre / pro. I don’t believe I am missing anything sound wise between this Denon AVR and a much more expensive pre / pro. I also figured it adds more flexibility and probably would be easier to sell if required down the road.

The M80’s are a very efficient flat revealing speaker, as you have already found out. I find they love to be played loud, and to do that you need to have power. To get power, (200 wps plus) you need to go separates!

Be forwarded, the M80’s are capable of playing cleanly way beyond safe listening levels in modest sized rooms. Hearing lost is not just possible, but expected at these levels!

pn

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990