Hi Griff,

Excellent present. Your comment about poor movie mixes with dialogue at too low a level made me think that perhaps you might not be aware that you can independently control the center-channel level, increasing its volume relative to the other speakers to make dialogue clearer and more intelligible for poor mixes. I run my center 3 dB or 5 dB louder, depending on the movie mix, to make sure I don't miss dialogue. You should be able to access the center-channel level from your remote control through the menu and manually increase it if you have trouble hearing dialogue.

When I did double-blind listening tests to the vp180 at the Axiom plant, I used ultra-critical opera vocals (I had never cared for the sound of male and female vocals, especially operatic, through the vp150), I was thrilled with the 180's sound quality and neutrality. I didn't know what I was listening to until after the tests, but I recall noting that male and female vocals, especially from operas, were wonderful. If you are ultra-critical of vocals, the vp180 center channel is indeed a "must-have" in my judgment.

Regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)