Ken, Rick, Bruno,

No, my "legacy" H/K (euphemism for old) has never lost its settings in that way, Rick.

Bruno: there's no question that the dynamic range of Dolby Digital soundtracks on lots of special effects blockbuster movies is too great for a lot of domestic environments. The mix is certainly the same as the one used in commercial movie theaters. I think there are a couple of factors that somehow make the huge dynamic range more acceptable in a large cinema than at home.

The size of the space and number of bodies in the seats plus all the absorptive upholstered seats in big theaters somehow "soaks up" the dynamic range better. At home, our relatively small rooms just generate too much immediate and very loud reverberant energy that can't go anywhere and get absorbed, so it's just too much acoustic energy impinging on our ears.

Also, the ambient noise level in a house from the heating/AC system/refrigerator/freezer and outdoor city urban noise is usually significantly higher than in movie theaters. The latter are quite well insulated to keep the ambient noise at a very low levels so the available dynamic range can be played without having the peaks at deafening levels.

At home, ambient noise causes us to shift the range higher so the softer sounds can be heard above background levels, then when a peak comes along, it's way too loud.

Does that all make sense?

It's an interesting question that I'll forward to my old friend and mentor, Dr. Floyd Toole, and see what he thinks.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)