tangupa, I can't speak to the M50 or QS4 decisions, but I got the M60/VP100/QS8 set last Friday. I'm surprised the site wizard spit out M50/Q4 for your room size. I have 16x22x10 room and the wizard went right to the configuration I finally ordered.

There is a review provided in one of the other replies to this thread about the M60s and it is pretty much dead nuts on. The addition of the midrange is an excellent enhancement beyond the M50s. The QS8s are special.

A few things. First, here is a link to the initial impressions I had after hooking up and playing the set a bit.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=HT&Number=32190&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=

Please note what I tried to explain relative to the term "bright". It is in the ears of the beholders. I think they are crisp and detailed; bright is not a word I would use.

Second, as part of your research, call the folks at Axiom. They are very knowledgable and extremely helpful/friendly.

Finally, take a look at the thread that provides information for auditioning Axioms in your area. If you can pull that off, it will give you a better feel for a decision.