We have a small impromptu group here at work that is slowly working our way through all the "Hot Dog" places here in town. Most of us are Southern Born & Bred but we do have some that hail from North of the M&D. We have sampled all types - from the Red Dye weenies to the brats. Down here, it is not really considered a dog unless it has mustard & chili - Hot Dog chili, that is. None of that stuff with beans in it. No relish. No kraut. Chili has to be just right - not too runny. Truth is I can go either way (that is a set-up for you Mark). There is a place in town, Skippy's that serves them northern style on Pretzel Buns. The buns are fantastic. My favorite Skippy's is a dog with brown mustard - dijon - thin slices of swiss that melt on the dog and then smothered with kraut. Completely different taste than the traditional Southern dog. I thought a thread like this could expand my culinary experience by giving me ideas to experiment with - especially since the regulars are from all over the continent.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill