For the past while I've been looking for a SACD/CD player (2 CH only) to plug directly into my tube amp using audio jacks.

My quest has taken me to seedy pawn shops, thrift stores as well as the normal big box electronics vendors. It seems that some of the newest Blue Ray players (even low end) will play SACDs; however, I wanted a higher end dedicated CD Player. These all seem to be above $500 CAN or so & CD players are quite uncommon in the marketplace anymore.

Yesterday I happened to check out one of our local Mom & Pop AV stores. I found a new, long discontinued Denon DVM 2845CI 5 Disc Changer sitting on the shelf waiting patiently for a new home. It plays multiple formats. The sticker price was $550 CAN & without any whining or snivelling on my part, the proprietor offered it to me for $200 just to finally unload it. Last night I checked it out on the net & it seemed to be a very good product with great sound quality. After seeing that Dak-Mart in the US has refurbished units for $270 US, it was a no brainer.

So, this afternoon it played a couple of CDs through the tube amp - simply wonderful. Now, I'm on the hunt for some SACDs to feed it. I even have $10 in ebay Bucks from my amp purchase (that have to be spent by May) to put towards some discs...

TAM