Originally Posted By: Andrew

I hope that was not too hard to follow and helps to clarify the continuous power ratings.

This was very easy to follow, thank you for explaining this so well. I understand now.

Originally Posted By: Andrew

Once we take losses, including the amplifier's efficiency, into account, the available voltage swing is reduced even further. It's this voltage swing that determines the maximum, continuous output power that the amplifier can deliver into a given load, assuming that we have unlimited current available. So, even though we might be able to deliver 1500 watts from the power supply, the amplifier is limited by the rail voltage.

Since the +/- 85Vdc rails seem to be a limiting factor in how much continuous power can be delivered to an one channel at a time, then why don't designers simply go with rails rated with a larger figure? For example if there were a +/- 170Vdc rail, then running the calculations would give approximately 1500 Watts for one channel. Is this a big added expense to the overall design, or just not possible because of some other reason? Or maybe that people don't need 1500 Watts continuous power delivered to one channel?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but am just trying to understand the basics of amplifier designs with my very limited knowledge.