Originally Posted By: a401classic
Don't forget flashlights and batteries, You never know when you'll need to find the generator - our luck has usually been in the 2AM range.

A supply of candles is a good idea, too. In addition to light, they have a calming effect, we've found.

I always have different types of batteries on hand from Costco. Also a Cyclops all charged up ready to go (up to 15 million candlepower) and a bunch of small flashlights. Also checked the LED on the whole-house surge protector on the panel to make sure that is functioning. That will protect everything plugged in the house from destructive surges that will try to enter from downed power lines when we are on main power. Sump pump has come on a few times from all the rain we currently have.

The radar is showing we are right on the edge of the hurricane. Our cold front is going to meet with the Sandy. The weather we are going to get is hard to predict because of this. My weather station is currently showing our temperature at 5°C. I just hope it doesn't drop and hover around 0°C. Rain, snow or even an ice storm is possible.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne