Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I think positioning the LFR center to sit on the floor below the screen would offer the most stable design point for the DSP. Lots of people have either projection screens or wall-mounted plasma/LCD displays that could probably accommodate such placement. But it would need to be relatively short.

Making it a horizontal speaker seems like a non-starter since the DSP wouldn't know ANY of the boundary dimensions.

Getting the full complement of drivers in a shorter LFR-style center may not be worth it. If it was made into the T-style speaker I was thinking of (one woofer on either side to form the T, one at the bottom), and if all of the porting could be on the back, then it could potentially be around 30 inches in height. Even with the single front port, at a few inches taller, I could probably get the screen size I'm looking for. Of course, having the speaker in a T could add significantly to the production costs, as well as being less attractive. Once you eliminate some of the drivers, though, a shorter and entirely vertical center becomes a possibility. I could go for either of those options.

I'm enjoying the VP180, but I would love to try an omnidirectional center, and if I could go back to vertical (or mostly vertical, in the case of the T), I'd go back. The M22 worked fine, but I do appreciate the greater range of the VP180. Man, I can't wait until the basement is done enough for me to move my system down there, where my speakers will have the breathing room they've been wanting.

No matter what, I'm curious to see what comes of this discussion.