The alternate to this computer had win7 pro on it. Unfortunately this one had a better screen, an upgraded cpu (i5) and a small ssd for fast boots all at $50 less, so my daughter is stuck with win8.

I started the rollback last night, well, this morning, before going to bed. I just found the registry edit to turn off the offensive update notices that force you to the MS store. I'll be applying that before I allow the computer to go online.

I'm surprised MS didn't open the wireless config tool and instruct me to connect to a network when it found that it could not phone home.

Tonight I'm hoping to be able to turn the interface into something resembling a desktop OS and to be able to turn off some of the annoying touch features (that I'm sure are very good if you have a touch tablet).

I think Microsoft finally realized a little late that it missed a revenue model shift to an environment where you can't overcharge for your OS. I wish them luck as my experience with Win8 has convinced me the tablet I will inevitably end up buying will not have an MS operating system on it.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!