Not to drag up a dead thread but since I got into tubes and thus now having the ability to see things from a different perspective, I'd have to say, yes, there was a lot of condescension and assumptions in this thread. Comments like, well, if you're into hifi and accurate sound reproduction, then tubes aren't for you. Hifi? There is no clear definition of what Hifi is. My goodness. How about having a little respect for the vast majority of people that like tubes and say: "Why don't you try them out and compare to solid state?" instead of such quick dismissals. If you people can't read between the lines of Alan's comments, well, then...whatever. All I know is tubes aren't in the best interest of a speaker manufacturer trying to sell 5.1. Coincidence? We'll never know.

Secondly, there are the comments about how its a pain in the arse. Actually, owning a tube amp is quite easy these days due to auto biasing, no more need to have matching tubes, and other advancements.

Thirdly, many people think many cds sound like pure crap and tube colorization actually gets to the proper sound. Ask Metallica if they had actually intended for 'And Justice for All' to sound the way it does on cd. Most musicians will tell you cds suck and so does the sound of their music on cds. I think they have better ears than us.

Fourth, no, tubes do not degrade. They peak and they degrade. Part of the fun is then trying a new tube. Its a hobby, a way to pass time, fun. If "fun" or "hobby" was even in the mind of some of people who said things here, they would have never even saw fit to mention something like this. Maybe for some the extent of the hobby is buying gear and then leaving it sit for 7 years, but not for others.

Not to mention, ridiculous comments like: "I'm not even sure its legal". Its called OEM. The OEM has a formal relationship with the original manufacturer and customizes the original manufacturer's equipment, then resells it. Its a common practice many many different industries, particularly in the computer industry. I once worked for a company that made lunchmeat then sold it to a name brand. People eat this lunchmeat and have no idea who made it.

I wonder how many people have heard a good turntable setup? If so, I would be *very* interested to hear how they believe cds sound better. Let me know. End of rant.