Hello PMB.

Tube amps are characterized by even ordered harmonics. Solid state amps by odd ordered harmonics. Music that sounds sonorous is characterized by even ordered harmonics. Noise is more akin to odd ordered harmonics. I wouldn't say that tube amps 'add' even ordered harmonics. It is the nature of the frequecy resonances, and I think even ordered harmonics are more musical than the odd ordered frequency resonances which characterize solid state amps.

BTW, I read that very interesting article you linked. You may not have noticed but I responded several times to your query about double blind testing. My position, before reading the article, was that a well designed double blind test would provide more significant results than the kick back and listen with joy method. Now, I'm not so sure. It never occurred to me that the double blind methodology runs into its own 'Heisenberg-like Uncertainty' boundary between Type I and Type II statistical error.

There are certain little pieces of audio information which I use for my tests of sound equipment. The 'thwack' of the G string of a bass fiddle in the Colangelo jazz CD, the wood wind chimes in cut 2 of Loreena McKennett's Elemental CD, cuts 3 and 6 of Elemental for soundstage as a few examples. These sounds, IMO, test equipment in a way that is fairly easy to discern.

For me, as I'm sure for most of you, the joy of audio is coming as close to the sound of live music as possible. My home-brew tests are intended to satisfy my passion for this elusive goal. But, for me, my passion is price sensitive. I'm by nature, frugal, so I balance results with minimizing the pain-of-the-purse and soothing my conscience that I am not overindulging, that is, I am conscious that while I enjoy someone fiddling, someone else is starving and spending more than I do would be in as bad taste as buying a Louis Vuitton travel bag.

Anyway, no one has to come by to listen to my tube system. Let's just forget I offered. I have never suggested that you all are not entitled to your opinions. I see no need to justify mine any further.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 05/03/04 11:47 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.