Couldn't agree with you more about the 100hz being awfully high. The Marantz is a gorgeous-sounding receiver, particular with music (which is how it spends most of its time being used). Unfortunately, that 100hz crossover point isn't adjustable. So here's what I do: The EP175's crossover point is set at roughly 1 o'clock (a bit over 100hz, if the knob range is at all linear). When I'm listening to music, I'll go in and set the speakers to "large" and let the sub pick up everything below where the M22s roll off. There's a bit of an overlap, but not too much audible bloom. When I'm watching movies, the M22s are set to "small" again.

With respect to your comments about SACD bass management, maybe someone else can chime in and explain it for both of us. What I've noticed is that with SACDs (whether they're 2 channel or multichannel), the sub just disappears. This is less of an issue with DVD-A, but there's still a noticable drop in the feed to the EP175.

I'm in love with the sound of the Marantz, but its internal adjustments are very limited. Mind you, this is only a two year old unit. There's DTS, PLII, 7 channel input, etc., but the fine-tuning options are few and far between. The new units in the Marantz line offer variable crossover points (80, 100 & 120, I think), and maybe 80hz is the magic setting. But the build quality of the Marantz stuff is a little suspect. Not long after my purchase, the amp went up in an alarming lightshow of fire and smoke. Marantz repaired it under warranty, and I've had NO problems since then, but after reading some of the posts on audioreview and some of the other boards out there, it sounds like they're still having issues. It's a shame, too, because it's a terrific sounding piece and it compliments the M22s nicely.

I'd be interested in recommendations from others who are familiar with the "Marantz sound". When the time comes to buy a new receiver, anyone care to suggest a direction or manufacturer? Remember, the emphasis is on music. I'm particularly interested in NAD. The Denon stuff is nice, but just a tad on the sterile side (the last Denon I listened to was a 3802). Anyone have a 3805 yet? The Yamahas have been traditionally regarded as a little warm and lazy, but I'm intrigued by the 2400.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds