Hello xforce,

Just a note on the Paradigm Reference 20s. I've had a pair for years and on instantaneous A/B comparisons (the only ones that are really valid) they're virtually indistinguishable from Axiom's M22ti's. I prefer the soundstage and imaging of the M22s slightly over the Reference 20s. The 20s have a little more bass output. The 20s were my benchmark mini-monitor reference speaker until I auditioned the M22ti's.

Also, re Dahlquist. The latter's DQ-10 in the '70s was a landmark speaker. Unfortunately, Dahlquist never followed up with other models of merit (John Dahlquist was in a terrible car accident).

For a time, they sold a line with imported German drivers. They had a distinctly German disco tonal balance (boomy bass, midrange sag, exaggerated tweeter output). Then a Canadian company, Audiosphere, purchased the name. I had lunch with the then-Audiosphere president about whether to re-introduce the DQ-10! I believe Audiosphere then went into receivership and I'm uncertain who actually builds or designs the Dahlquist models. Nor have I heard any.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)