Floyd Toole wrote several papers on equalization. The most relevant one is his article entitled "Part II - Making a good loudspeaker - image, space and great sound in rooms" on pages 14 to 16. It's available on his employer's website, under "white papers". I'd offer a link, but I don't want to get banned from Axiom's message board for promoting a competitor's work.

In a nutshell, he talks about the equalization required, and the difference between resonance and acoustic interference. He and Ian G. Masters have complained elsewhere about the uselessness of most graphic and parametric equalizers on the market, due to lack of resolution, true parametric equalization, measuring tools, and experience; so I would proceed with caution.

BTW, the article is very good at defending why frequency response curves are the best predictors of speaker "sound", and it's coming from the father of rational loudspeaker science.

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"