Hello All,

Hope you are all well. EQ's have a seriously bad reputation, there are many terrible ones that have been sold. I would not touch most of them with a 10 foot pole, hehe.

When using an equlizer that is not a true parametric you are indeed limited in what you can do. However if your speaker has a couple of 3db peaks above the average sensitivity, the speaker itself is altering the music by 3db to what was intended. No speaker is perfectly flat in frequency response.

Utilizing the EQ to take 1db off of a speaker peak flattens it enough to pull it in-line with the rest of the frequencies. This does not alter the sound of the music as it was intended, it adjusts the speaker to not emphasize that frequency.

The M2i has a peak around the 4kHz range, it is artificially boosting that frequency compared to the rest of its range, so a slight cut at that frequency of 1db to 1.5db pulls it down so the speaker response is more flat. This is much better than using your Tone control in your reciever which will alter all of your treble frequencies, not just the 4kHz peak. Same thing with adding the resistor many have tried to tame this slight peak, you lose most of your soundstage.

Most people I have seen with EQ's don't know how to use them and make an absolute mess with the sliders. I have barely moved them to adjust a slight peak here and there, therefore getting as flat a response as possible, most of the sliders are at 0db. Going from equalized to bypass, there is a very subtle change in the sound of the speaker.

The M2i is very easy to flatten out, I absolutely agree that cutting frequency is much easier than boosting, matter of fact that boost at 240 that I tried did not work out, so that slider went back to 0db.

I hope I have not offended anyone with this post.

Later,

TonyM