Josh, I wish I had a better sub to compare the two, but so far that's not been possible. There are times when I think the Sub is doing a fine job with music (Alison Krauss SACD) and times when I have to turn it down because it's boomy (Jack Johnson- his 2nd CD is recorded better than his first quality wise).
I have tried various things (calibration, moving, adjusting phase, etc) and I have to tinker with the volume whenever I listen to music.
With HT it does a great job and if I were setting up something for my parents I'd go with this sub in a second. I'm not sure of the dimensions of my apartment, but it's a small studio so volume is not an issue with this sub. My concerns (not even real complaints) is that it is sometimes boomy and sounds 'slow'.

Having said all that, I won't be upgrading my sub until or unless I move into a bigger place. I think I got a great deal for my money. When I bought mine I paid $105.00 total (including shipping).
Perhaps it's subwoofer ignorance on my part (have just not auditioned many), but I don't know if the difference between what I have and an SVS or HSU would be that great, especially in a small space where I am already getting the dbs I want/need. If anyone feels strongly in opposition of my sentiments, that's great. Please don't flame me!

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens