Hello all,

I’ve got the itch to buy some quality audio gear. My last real purchase was about 10 years ago. I am a complete audio idiot. I turn it on, twist a couple knobs and I either like the way is sounds, or I don’t.

I have a big log house with a 26’ X 32’ great room that has a loft above it. The loft floor is at the ten foot level above the great room. It is open to the pitched ceiling peak, which is 25’. Sound carries very well in this entire area. Currently, I have a 46” TV in the loft and I’m using a Bose system (yes, I have the balls to admit it) for my HT. I got the speaker only kit pretty cheap, and it works OK in this small area. What I need now is a good set of speakers for the great room and a good receiver with 2 zones. I’ll place the tower speakers downstairs and run them off the HT receiver's second zone.

That being said, I’ve been researching speakers and receivers for about a month now, and as a result, I have less hair, frequent headaches and I’m more confused now than when I started. In my searches and discoveries, my speaker short list is the M80’s and the Onyx 750 Rockets. I can get both B stocked speakers for right at $1000, so cost comparison isn’t an issue. For your reference, while I was speaker shopping, I really liked the way the B&W 703’s and Paradigm Studio 100’s sounded. At $3000 and $2400, neither of those two will come home with me……

After speaking with Axiom, they recommend Denon, HK or NAD to power the 80’s. I’m considering the Denon 3805, HK 7200 or 7200-Z and NAD 763. My total allowance is $2000 for the speakers and receiver. I don’t have a lot of spare time to read owners manuals, tweak, play and experiment. A user friendly receiver definitely gets points with me. Oh, and can you recomend one of those remote IR sensors for the second zone remote?

Thanks in advance for your input.

……….mike