Mdrew - Welcome!

You'll probably end up going with a better surround set up after you've tasted something better than BOSE, but we'll see.

As for the second room IR repeater/flasher, try the hot link system out. I currently use it to operate my components in a single room, with the components placed out of the way (I'm also able to control the repeater from a second your, if the infra-red reflections are just right). They sell additional lengths of repeater wire to run into a second room. I find that my components actually respond better with the hot link attached (even those is direct sight of the remote). The cost is around $100 for the sensor and a 6 component ribbon that stretches 7 feet. Additional feet of repeater ribbon will be a bit more, I would assume.

I got mine on ebay for aroun $80, new out of the box. I bet if you looked there, you'd see the same seller who sold me mine offering the identical deal.

The repeater technology is fairly cool - the device is pretty discrete, and you can place the sensor on the wall behind your TV (not even directly viewing the remote). The reflections bounce off the back wall and into the ligt sensor (which is apparently much more sensitive to the IR signal than a normal component IR detector.

Give it a try, you appreciate the convenience.