Jack,
You make some good points but your argument is once again going back to a marketing perspective. Hell you may be right and if so this is one of the greatest consumer frauds being perpetrated at this moment. I still however have my doubts. Soundstage is a site that is thrown around here a lot as a great source of reference for reviews etc and almost every speaker review they do, they bring up the break in time. Why? They got the speakers for free. There is no possibility of return. Soundstage is not the only one bringing it up. there a ton of others. They did a review of the Coincident Speaker Technology Total Eclipse Loudspeakers. In case you guy's don't know Coincident is another Canadian company and for the most part, make nice stuff. They are however out to lunch on what they think a set of speakers is worth. The ones reviewed here retail at $8000.00US a pair. One of the things the reviewer noted was this:

In reply to:

The Total Eclipses took quite a while to break in. At the outset, they were pleasant and totally absent of pain-inducing brightness or aggressiveness. Or, in other words, they were speakers that didn’t suck when fresh out of the box. But the bass was missing in action, and the dynamics, both micro and macro, were noticeably reticent. After 50 hours, the bass drivers started to connect with the rest of the music, and after 100 hours, the dynamics started to kick in. It was only after 300 hours (or so) that the speakers quit changing and seemed to offer a full serving of their ultimate sonic potential.

Now I'm not a fan of reviewers for the most part as they are all subjective but why did this guy bring it up? There is no gain or loss for him at all by doing so.

In reply to:

It's my opinion, and ONLY my opinion, that nearly all TV, radio, and print advertising contradict you.

No problem at all. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong either way. I'm talking as a guy who has had a hand in successful and not so successful advertising campaigns that most of you here would have seen. However it should be noted that most TV, Radio and print advertising have taken in to account Demographics, need, consumer buy-in, and about 50 other things that are all researched prior to ever being made. There are some companies out there that just advertise for $hits and giggles but most companies want there advertising campaigns to focus on something and someone. Thus the research.