I just got a Harman / Kardon AVR520 receiver rated at 75 watts / channel. After hooking up my M80ti's and listening for a bit (awesome!) the receiver starts shutting down by putting itself into standby mode. The only possible explanation I can come up with is impedence problems, covered on the Harman / Kardon website:

"All Harman Kardon Audio/Video receivers can handle most 4 and 6 ohm speakers on the market today. However, there are some manufacturers' speakers that have a minimum impedance well below the 4 and 6 ohm nominal impedance. In this situation, the receiver will protect itself by going into standby mode. This will not damage the speakers or the electronics, but it is an indication that the speaker in question is not compatible with our receiver. Note: The continued use of the receiver with speakers that cause it to shut down can result in eventual failure of the receiver which is not covered by the warranty."

Is this what is going on here? I know the M80ti's are rated at 4 Ohms but I can find no other reason for this to happen. I know these speakers would probably love a separate amp, but this is a pretty beefy receiver and I wont be pleased if it is not sufficient, since I wasn't planning on buying any more equipment at present.

Thanks for any help,

Doug