OK, Guys (and Ladies!), I have to ask for some help with my Denon 3805 Receiver and I feel guilty about it….because I haven't exhausted all of my options yet. I feel like 3-4 hours uninterrupted with the manual and/or a manual reset or rewiring may help, but I just can't seem to find the uninterrupted time of late, and this is becoming a very big thorn in my side because I keep feeling like I must be missing something.

My receiver seems to "lose" the ability to recognize Dolby Digital Sources.

When I first purchased/set up the receiver, everything was fine with Dolby Digital (hereafter, DD) sources from DVD. When I got a high-def cable box, I delighted in watching the receivers' display "switch" from PL IIX to DD when the splash screen came on the TV with the Voiceover and graphic "This program Presented in Dolby Digital 5.1".

At some point, the switch did not happen anymore. I'm not sure exactly at what point, but I believe it was around the time I started exploring different surround modes….i.e., Pro Logic IIX Music with music sources, Pro Logic IIX Cinema with a movie or TV etc. I was doing this with my MX-700 remote, which is currently NOT programmed for my Denon 3805, but rather with a code that Ray graciously provided that I believe is from an older Denon receiver. Is there any possibility that I'm somehow switching the receiver into some mode with the old code that, because the code IS old, won't let me switch back?

A couple of weeks ago, I took the system apart to move into a new home in the closet… (photos/report to come soon, I swear!) and magically, the receiver was once again recognizing DD sources and switching to them automatically. Again, a few days later I experimented with the surround parameter via remote and front panel, and realize after again that it won't recognize DD. (Unfortunately, I didn't make the connection till afterwards that changing these parameters is likely the culprit or I may have avoided it. Then again, I don't want to NOT be able to explore surround options for different sources/programming!).

I spent two hours this morning in menus, etc. to try to nail this down before writing my big, promised post and I just can't figure out what's going on. The cable box is correctly hooked up to a digital coax input on the Denon and I haven't changed it. The Denon menu is set to allow "auto selection" for Dolby sources, though I've tried it in the off position as well. I've tried a wide variety of programming to ensure that I just didn't coincidentally have it on a non-DD source. I've hit and explored every button on the front panel related to setup and surround.

Again, I feel guilty for posting this because I know I should read the manual, but I'm telling you, there are many, many pages involving surround parameters and "what can be used under what circumstances, etc…". I will sit down and read the manual thoroughly as soon as I can, but I have to believe I'm missing something obvious considering I've been through all the menu options, etc.

I anybody familiar with a quirk in the 3805 or something obvious that I'm missing? I just can't take a half day to rewire/reset/study the multitude of charts in the manual /reprogram my remote or a full day to do all of the above anytime soon…..

I really like to exhaust every possible option before asking for help here, but I'm ashamedly bowing my head and saying that this one is winning and I'm pulling my hair out.

Any thoughts AT ALL?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::